Quick Reads are a charity that commission, publish and distribute short books by big name authors. They contain the same great material as mainstream books, but are edited to be shorter and easier for less confident readers.
Quick Reads books are vital in educational settings such as further education colleges and libraries, prisons, military bases, care homes and family centres as well as in workplace learning centres. They are also used in settings as diverse as oil rigs, cross channel ferries, bus depots and refuse disposal units. Also, adults who become readers through Quick Reads encourage their children to read, transforming their prospects and creating the next generation of readers.
Quick Reads is making real, lasting changes to people’s lives. Since 2006 they have distributed over 4.5 million books, registered 3 million library loans and through the outreach work, hundreds of thousands of new readers each year, often in some of the hardest to reach communities, are introduced to the joys and benefits of reading.
The 2013 Galaxy Quick Reads titles are:
· A Sea of Change by Veronica Henry (Orion) – a chance meeting at the beach which could change two lives forever...
· Wrong Time, Wrong Place by Simon Kernick (Arrow) – a dangerous dilemma to be faced in the Scottish Highlands...
· Love is Blind by Kathy Lette (Black Swan) – a sexy, funny, heart-warming adventure set in Australia
· Today Everything Changes by Andy McNab (Corgi) – the inspiring story of when a life changes for the better
· Doctor Who, The Silurian Gift by Mike Tucker (BBC Books) – a thrilling new adventure featuring the Doctor from the hit BBC TV show
· A Dreadful Murder by Minette Walters (Pan) – based on a true story, can a 100-year-old murder be solved by modern detective skills?
Galaxy Quick Reads are available now from bookshops, supermarkets, and online at a cost of £1 each or can be borrowed from libraries across the country.
Quick Reads is made possible by the enthusiastic support of their authors, publishers, partners and funders. For more information about this amazing charity, visit www.quickreads.org.uk