Wednesday, 13 March 2013

The Secret Supper Club by Dana Bate


Hannah Sugarman has a serious passion for food. In between her day job as a financial research assistant, she loves nothing more than baking something delicious and dreaming of becoming a caterer. However, no one takes her seriously, namely her parents and her boyfriend. 

When Hannah’s relationship finally fails she moves home and renews her love of cooking by hosting a secret supper club with her best friend Rachel. Despite the success of the supper club, Hannah is faced with numerous problems; she is running it from her landlord’s flat without permission, keeping it a secret from her academic parents and she may be breaking the law. The food is a hit and she meets a variety of interesting people but it is only a matter of time before she is found out. 

I enjoyed Hannah’s enthusiasm for food and cooking, and the personal history behind her menus for the supper club. I thought her character was loveable and crazy in equal parts and you can’t help but want to find out what trouble her impulsive behaviour will get her into next! This is a very uplifting story all about food, friends and family. Amusing and heart-warming, The Secret Supper Club is a must read for foodie fans.

At the back of the book is a selection of delectable recipes that Hannah serves in the story. I had a go at making the Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Asian Pears. Now I know my way around the kitchen, but I've never caramelized anything in my life. Nevertheless my attempt at this turned out fine and was quite delicious, even if I cheated a little and used pears from Kent instead! 

Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Pears

No comments:

Post a Comment