Monday, 8 July 2013

Once Upon a Time Reawakened by Odette Beane

I was very excited to review this book because I had already enjoyed the hit Channel 5 TV series upon which this book is based. For those that didn't see the show; it is the story of Emma Swan, whose life is turned upside down when the son she gave up for adoption, Henry, tracks her down on her twenty-eighth birthday. 

He takes her back to his home town of Storybrooke, where he insists that everyone there are actually fairytale characters who are stuck in the town with no memories of their true identities and that it is Emma’s job to save them. Emma is sceptical at first but as she spends more time in the town with her estranged son and his all-knowing book of fairytales, all the stories begin to reveal themselves. 

This book is very much a reading copy of the first season of the show. I had thought it would be slightly different but it is almost the TV show word for word with a few bits cuts out. Not that this was such a negative; there was less visual description and more dialogue so you could imprint your own imagination on the stories. I always enjoyed how the show and now the book put a cool, modern twist in the classic fairytale stories featured. 
Rumpelstiltskin


My favourite character is the nefarious Rumpelstiltskin who is clever, devious and yet strangely charming (played by the talented Robert Carlyle in the show). Does anyone else have a favourite character from the Once Upon a Time franchise? 

Overall this is cleverly plotted and fun to read, whether you've seen the TV show or not. There are also more books to come in the series to keep your fairytale thirst fuelled!

2 comments:

  1. WOW - didn't know this was a book! I'm watching the second series at the moment, are you? I'm heading over to Amazon now, to add this to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! There are a few more books to come as well. I've seen a bit of the second series but haven't watched it as avidly as I did first. If you like the show though, I think you will definitely like this.

      Delete