Tuesday, 6 May 2014

The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes

There are a lot of Jojo Moyes fans on social media and in the press, and so I was quite excited to read my first book from this author. 

We are introduced to Jess; a single mother who is juggling two crappy jobs to support her introverted step son, her maths fanatic daughter and their useless dog Norman. Her ex-partner is of no help at all, she is struggling to make ends meet and she lives in a neighbourhood terrorized by a rough family. 

Enter Ed, whose life is falling apart around him following an impending criminal investigation of his company and the declining health of his father. 

After a shaky first encounter, and subsequent chance meetings between the two, Ed ends up playing the hero for Jess and her family that sends them on a road trip they will never forget. As things blossom between them, a secret waiting to be uncovered which could destroy the unexpected relationship they have unconsciously built. 

It took me a little while to get into the story. It is told from different perspectives, and I liked Ed’s back story about his company and unintentional criminal activity. I found Jess’s character quite frustrating at first as she seemed (to me) to be making all the wrong decisions. But as their stories are woven together, you can’t help but get emotionally involved in their ups and downs. The family as a whole was so endearing and their characters were well developed throughout the book. 

Towards the last half of the book, I was racing through to see how it all ended, and everything was wrapped up just as I had hoped. The One Plus One is a modern telling of love and family in Britain, with perceptive characters and interlocking storylines. I was impressed with my first Jojo Moyes story, so I doubt this will be my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment