Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Red Rising has been on my radar for weeks but it was the final enthusiastic recommendation from Liz at Liz Loves Books that made me get Red Rising straight away! 

Darrow is a Helldiver, one of thousands of Reds who live beneath the surface of Mars. They are a proud people of dance and song who spend their lives mining the elements that will allow the planet to be terraformed, so that the rest of humanity can live there, following the decline of Earth. 

It seems like a necessary sacrifice until Darrow learns the truth about Mars and the people who have enslaved the Reds to suit their own needs, the god-like Golds. 

With the help of a rebel force, he infiltrates the Golds by disguising himself and entering their prestigious school system, with the end goal of destroying them from the inside. But the school is a battlefield and the tasks that he faces may kill him, before he can avenge his fellow Reds. 

Wow what can I say? As we enter the last few weeks of 2014, I think this has to be one of my favourite books of this year. The only downside is that I have to wait until January to find out what happens next! 

I think I liked it so much because mythology is one of my passions, so the intriguing use of mythological ideas woven into this action packed and original story really enchanted me. There are also elements of dystopia, science fiction and adventure which also sit highly on my reading agenda! Red Rising is violent and relentless with my twists and turns than you can shake an Ion stick at! 

Darrow is a great lead character and I warmed to him from the beginning. I loved the colour hierarchy and the symbolism of the sigils which are the stuff that literary tattoos are made of! As I neared the end, I both raced to find out the end but was also deeply sad to see that know it would soon be over, which is always the sign of a good book. 

It’s not just great characters and an exciting storyline that make this book, but a whole world has been built that is fascinating and also slightly chilling to read about. I’ve heard rumours that these books have been optioned for film adaptation which is great as this story would be amazing on the big screen. 

This is a wild ride of a book filled with action and excitement, and this astonishing debut that looks set for a very bright future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment