Thursday, 23 April 2015

White Crocodile by K.T. Medina

I only had a limited amount of books on my phone, and White Crocodile happened to be one of them. I didn’t even recall that it was set in Cambodia until I started reading it on my travels, whilst in Cambodia myself! Such a happy coincidence that this became one of my travelling reads that I genuinely enjoyed. 

Following the death of her husband, mine clearer Tess moves to Cambodia to uncover the mystery behind his untimely demise. Alongside her personal investigations, a spate of horrific abductions and murders of young Cambodian women is taking place. 

The local fear is fuelled by the legend of the White Crocodile, an unlucky, evil omen that foretells doom. Simultaneously, a murder in England has a stressed detective struggling to relate the clues presented to him to solve the grisly offence that may have links thousands of miles away. 

Not knowing who to trust, and with secrets of her own, Tess finds herself in immediate danger as she gets closer to the truth behind the crimes. From the Killing Fields of Cambodia, to the gritty criminal underbelly of northern England, White Crocodile paints a dark picture of the events that take place. 

I thought it was quite clever to incorporate the bloody history of Cambodia and the native legends into this crime fiction tale as this added so much more excitement and realism to the story. For me, to actually be in the relevant country at the time of reading made it so much more real to me which I liked. 

Tess was a likeable and genuine heroine; ex-army, intelligent and proficient in her job, but still had all the real reactions and emotions of a real woman. I also liked the worn down English detective and I think I would have liked to have seen more action set around his character in the UK. 

The tension in the story is built not only through the sinister workings of the killer, but also with the secrets of not only Tess, but also other main characters who all have their own issues that are slowly revealed.  I really enjoyed White Crocodile and would like to reiterate that obviously you don’t need to travel all the way to Cambodia in order to enjoy it! 

One of the more original crime thrillers I’ve read in a while, White Crocodile is a cleverly descriptive and tensely exciting novel that will thrill readers of this genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment