Sunday, 21 June 2015

5 Job Aspirations Inspired By Fiction

Books have always inspired me in one way or another. One way is of potential job careers realistic or otherwise. I suppose the same could be said of TV and film. After seeing Indiana Jones I briefly entertained the idea of being an archaeologist. After Jurassic Park, a career working with dinosaurs seemed quite appealing. Even now as an adult, I might watch Strictly Come Dancing and think maybe it’s not too late to become a championship ballroom dancer. Anyway, random daydreaming aside, here are 5 cases where books had me pondering some rather interesting and unconventional job choices I wouldn’t say no to.


1. Child Detective inspired by the Nancy Drew mysteries created by Edward Stratemeyer
 
Starting off with a really nostalgic one here. When I was a kid I remember being really impressed with the spirited Nancy Drew and that led to a brief want to be a detective. She was clever, brave and confident; probably everything I wanted to be at that age. Her mysteries always seemed so exciting and she always got the bad guy in the end. At that point, I hadn’t got into the gritty police dramas or psychological thrillers I devour now, at that time I just wanted to be the wily heroine that daringly solved the mystery at the end.  



2. Witch or Wizard from the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling
 
Correct me if I’m wrong, but who has ever read a Harry Potter book and hasn’t fantasized about getting their Hogwarts acceptance letter? I for one would jump at the chance to don the cloak and (hopefully) Gryffindor colours and take that legendary train ride to the beautiful Hogwarts castle. Potions, spells, Quidditch and those amazing school feasts... who wouldn’t want to be part of all those things? Muggles probably. Part of the attraction of these books is the fantastic world that the reader wants to be involved in. I don’t think I would ever be on a level with Hermione but I reckon I could wingardium leviosa with the best of them.



3. Librarian from The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman
 
I’ve always liked the idea of being a normal librarian (I mean, what kind of bookworm would I be if I didn’t want to spend all day surrounded by books). However an Invisible Library librarian is part scholar, part spy, seeking out and collecting important books from different realities. The role also includes other perks such as infinite knowledge and longevity that you just don’t get in real world occupations. An Invisible Library librarian is literally the ultimate bookworm profession; books, travel and treasure hunting all rolled into one!


4. Dragon Naturalist inspired by A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan
 
In this extraordinary series by Marie Brennan, Lady Isabella Trent has always had a passion for dragons and she defies the conventions of her time by carving a niche for herself as a front runner in the study of the creatures. The fact that she does it with dignity, heart and bravery in the face of sexism and danger is all the more impressive. I’ve always had a fascination with the legends of dragons myself, so a job where I could travel the world and study them in their natural habitat, help to conserve them and contribute academically to science would be amazing.



5. Pirate inspired by every pirate themed novel I’ve ever read
 
It could be my affinity with water or a long standing history with pirate fiction but pirates have always seemed so appealing to me, that is unthinkable not to include them in this article They often embark on exciting voyages, find hordes of treasures and there is something quite charming with the whole carefree, rebellious attitude that many pirates are portrayed as having in fiction. Not forgetting the exotic island adventures and seemingly endless supplies of alcohol, I think I could happily adapt to life on the high seas.



So there is my list of alternative fictional job aspirations. If you had any, whether as a child, teenager or adult then please feel free to comment and share as I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment