Wednesday, 3 June 2015

Techbitch by Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza

Techbitch aka The Knockoff is the sparkling new novel set in a fashion HQ fraught with social and professional perils. Think The Devil Wears Prada for the digital age. 

Imogen Tate returns to her position as editor-in-chief of Glossy magazine after a sabbatical, only to discover that her former assistant Eve Morton has installed herself in her office and has bought a digital revolution with her. 

Obsessed with digital fashion marketing, the use of apps and viral content, Eve is on a mission to rebrand Glossy with herself in charge and Imogen finds herself overwhelmed by technology she never knew existed. Imogen has the old school fashion contacts and years of experience in the fashion industry but to compete in the digital age, she needs to learn her tweets from her instagrams, and fast! 

From the very beginning I liked Imogen’s character. She’s a genuinely nice person who is passionate about fashion and the Glossy publication.  So it is on the other hand that Eve is so deliciously detestable. What a bitch! Eve is shocking; from her terrible manners, her personal overshares and her outrageous demands. I think everyone has had a crazy boss at some point or had to deal with ridiculous demands, so Eve’s antics, though outlandish, really makes for electric reading. 

Another reason I liked Imogen was because she kind of reminds me of my Mum. My Mum knows enough techie stuff to function at work and is oblivious to most other developments. It seems like Apple gadgets and androids haven’t been around that long, and yet there are new apps and social media sites being developed all the time and so many industries (not just fashion) need to have a strong online presence to stay current. 

From a technology point of view, the content was really interesting. By chance, I started a new job this week where part of my role is to manage the company’s social media pages. Even though I know the basics (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) there are some sites and applications I’m yet to utilise and some I’ve never heard of all together. I’ve already been given a social media guide to read for my new job, and reading this novel at the same time seemed a happy coincidence to be able to pick up a few hints and tips. I always like it when an aspect of a novel can be applied to real life so well. 

Full of sass, fashion and digital brilliance, this is one of the most current books I’ve read in a long time that I’m sure many people will be able to identify with. 


No comments:

Post a Comment