Saturday, 18 July 2015

Kept by Elle Field

I’ve had this book for absolutely ages and never really got round to reading it until recently, after which I was so annoyed at myself for not having started it sooner! Meet Arielle Lockley, whose life isn’t working out the way she planned. 

With big dreams of becoming a fashion designer, instead she finds herself the cosseted girlfriend of rich boyfriend Piers. Generous Piers pays for her clothes, expensive treats and holidays, and she lacks the motivation to make her own dreams a reality. 

When the recession hits, things take a turn for the worse, and when Piers throws her out without a penny to her name and nothing to show for her years living in London, Arielle returns home to live with her parents, and to a past she would rather forget. 

As she is reacquainted with people from the life she left behind, Arielle learns some life lessons and begins to realise that she must stand on her own two feet if she wants to get the best out of life. With plenty of mistakes to learn from, and a new resolve to better herself, Arielle may just be able to get her life on track if she can separate her head from her heart. 

When I first started reading the book, I didn’t think I would like the character of Arielle, and if you don’t like the lead, it can have a negative impact on the enjoyment of a book. However, it didn’t take me long to get attached to her and I had a lot sympathy for her situation. 

I think that is the case for many young people today, including myself, to leave university with rose-tinted dreams of a certain career, which in reality is not always possible or as smooth going as you might think, or your life goes in a completely unexpected direction entirely! 

Some of Arielle’s decision choices were obviously not the best ones but her bubbly, scatty personality was quite lovable and you end up routing for her to see the light at the end of the tunnel! I loved the relationship with her childhood friend Obélix and once events from Arielle’s past start coming to light; it makes you understand her character even more. 

Fashion fans will enjoy this story, as Arielle has a penchant for designers and an eye for style which punctuates this fun story with colour and glamour. A warm and engaging story, Kept is a great novel to keep on hand for a pick-me-up read. I’ve already bought the second book, Lost and can’t wait to see what is in store for Arielle Lockley!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your lovely review. I hope you enjoy Lost! {^_^} x

    ReplyDelete